2017 has been a huge mix of great things happening and bad things bubbling under the surface constantly making sure the good stuff just isn’t as good as it could be. However, the end of the year has brought good news and a lifting of some of the worries which have been held over 2017 so I’m looking forward to 2018 and making it the year of change for the better in every single aspect of my life.
Throughout this post, I’m going to try and focus on the good stuff whilst also looking towards the future and all the positive things that will bring. I’ve hardly blogged at all this year mainly due to lack of time but with a new year comes new opportunities and one thing I want to tackle is how I spend my time which should give me more opportunities to work solely on my blog outside of work and other commitments. As we move into a new year, I plan to make some big changes and take some time out for me over the next 12 months.
But as I mentioned earlier, I’m here to focus on the positive so here are some of my highlights of 2017:
- Progressing in my career. I was in my last role for 16 months before I left in October to start my brand new job. I think I was definitely at the point where I needed change and to progress professionally and that is exactly what my new role has given me the opportunity to do. I’ve only been there just over 2 months but I’m excited and inspired about what the next 12 months in the role will bring for me and the company I work for.
- Rome. In the autumn, between one job and the next, me and my boyfriend headed to Rome for a few days. I’d already been before for my 21st birthday but it was nice to go back to one of my favourite cities and not only show someone around it but also see the parts of the city I’d not seen on my last trip there. It was a great break and hopefully I’ll be back to Italy again soon.
- First home. In October last year, me and my boyfriend put an offer in on a house and in January, we moved in and have been enjoying the novelty of owning our own home ever since. The house was pretty good when we moved in with nothing major needing to happen to it but we’ve spent the year making our mark on the place but it is still very much a work in progress. We still have so much we want to do to the house over the next couple of years and I can’t wait to truly make this house our home.
- Couch to 5K. This is a big one for me, mainly because I never thought that I would be writing about me running but here we are. Earlier this year, me and my boyfriend took up the Couch to 5K challenge and although we still haven’t finished and it has been well over 9 weeks since we started, we are loving it. Due to illness and time, we haven’t been able to complete in the 9 weeks we wanted to but what has took us both by surprise is how much we are loving the training and how much we want to carry on. We constantly want to beat our targets and both know that once we hit that 5K there is no reason why we can’t run 6K, 7K, 10K and more.
There have been other great moments from this year, such as gigs, days trips, weddings etc, but these are by far the stand out moments that have shaped my 2017.
I made multiple lists throughout 2016 of things to acheive throughout the year however for 2017, I didn’t do anything like this so instead I’m going to put together 18 things to do, acheive and work towards in 2018.
- Blog more, about anything and everything. One night a week should be my night to blog but if I don’t feel like writing then that’s ok too.
- Be more charitable. Find a cause, support it and get involved whether it is helping in the community, helping vulnerable people, protecting the environment or making positive changes in society.
- Run 5K.
- Learn new skills. I always want to build upon what I already know and learn something new. This year, I have my eye on a couple of courses to complete but I also want to learn for learnings sake about subjects I find interesting.
- Relax more and learn to control my thoughts. Meditation, yoga and spending time in the countryside are all things I want to do more of this year in order to help myself relax, live in the moment and learn to control my frantic thoughts.
- Spend more time with my friends and family and appreciate those that I do have in my life.
- Read more, fiction, non-fiction and everything in between. I want to read as much as possible this year from blogs and columns to novels and essays.
- Be silly! Just because you are an adult, it doesn’t mean you can’t act like a five year old occasionally.
- Only buy/wear clothes I feel truly comfortable in and that will make me feel like the most confident version of myself. This is important to help me change my perspective about myself and make me feel more confident in tackling everything I want to do.
- Find one new artist or band a month to listen to and/or write about.
- Write thinkpieces again and maybe try to get some of my work published on sites I love.
- Be healthier. Eat better, exercise more, lose weight and look after my mental health.
- Do what makes you happy. Put myself first and learn to say no.
- Get rid of the crap. The physical crap I’ve accumulated, the clothes that don’t fit any more and the items I don’t need but also the crap in my life including people I don’t need to surround myself with and the thoughts I need to let go.
- Shop and eat locally where possible. Take full advantage of all the amazing food, drink and small businesses in Sheffield and the surrounding area.
- Continue to manage my money, save where possible and spend my money more wisely, on things I’ll truly enjoy.
- Learn that it is ok not to do everything myself and trust that other people will help me if they say they will.
- Enjoy every single day and try to find the good in every day however difficult it has been.
So looking back, it seems that 2017 was a completely mixed year for me in so many respects but I’m determined to make 2018 so much better. I plan on changing the things which are not working for me as well as being more creative, determined, happy, healthy and relaxed than I have ever been.
I have plenty to work on over the coming year from learning how to relax to spending more time on this blog but I really can’t wait to get started. To those of you that have, thank you for sticking with me through this extremely quiet 12 months for the blog and here’s to better to come in 2018!
Happy New Year everyone! Hope 2018 is happy, healthy and successful for all of you!