If I’m being totally honest that should probably say around 4.0 but whatever, who’s counting anymore.
Anyway, I’m back (sort of) and absolutely determined to get a little bit of regularity back to this blog. I love blogging but the past couple of months, it has felt a little bit like a chore for me. I guess that is what happens when you write everyday in your job and that writing outside of work can sometimes feel like work.
Plus, this blog has just become a music blog lately and though I love music that is not what I want this blog to be. I want to write about food, culture and travel and I did do that but over the last four months or so, I just haven’t had the time.
The past couple of months have been stressful to say the least, I’ve been running on 4-5 hours sleep a night for well over a month and it has taken a toll on me. Although things aren’t perfect now, they are much more manageable and I feel more content in myself in many ways.
I think that came from last week when I was on holiday in a small town near the beach with no wifi and hardly any signal. Spending time outside, getting some exercise and just doing nothing because I can, was nice and exactly what I needed. As a result, my head feels much better this week, less foggy and noisy and instead, I’m much more focused and I have a clearer idea of how I want the rest of 2016 to go.
It’s a year that has completely run away from me and I hate that so slowing down and getting back that control was necessary for me. But now, I feel like I need to make some changes so I’m going to list some things here to help me get my life to go back in the direction I want it to.
- Blog more, about anything and everything. One night a week should be my night to blog but if I don’t feel like writing I need to stop feeling guilty for that too.
- Find a cause, support it, get involved, do something about how angry and disenfranchised you feel. Help in the community, help vulnerable people, protect the environment or make positive changes in society.
- Find a sport and play it. Get back into exercise, do what makes you truly happy, join a club or go it alone; just pick a sport and do it.
- Plan the things that need planning and stop worrying about everything else. You can’t plan for everything, you just have to come to terms with that.
- Ignore that stupid, niggling voice in your head and learn how to control your anxieties through apps, therapy, joining a club, exercise, writing, reading, breathing exercises, meditation, sleep, whatever it is; find what helps and practice it.
- Appreciate the friends and family I do have because they are the people I care about most in the world.
- Hug, laugh and smile more.
- Be silly! Just because you are an adult, it doesn’t mean you can’t act like a five year old occasionally.
- Write thinkpieces again and get in contact with that website you’d love to write for, you never know they may actually want to publish some of your work.
- Discover music again like you did when you were a teenager; find new acts, obsess over songs and go to shitty looking clubs hosting local gigs more.
So there we have it, my list to help myself for the rest of this year and beyond. I’m going to make changes to help myself and improve my wellbeing. You guys didn’t have to know this necessarily but putting it out on my blog makes it more real for me and that helps.
Thank you for listening and thank you for sticking by me and the blog. Mixtape Couture version 345678909876 to start soon.