After such a great birthday last week, this week has been slow and challenging in the sense that it’s just not been as fun and I’ve constantly felt like I’ve been getting a cold all week. I’m not going to talk about the boring stuff though, I’m going to talk a little bit about my birthday and the lovely weekend that accompanied it.
So my birthday was last Thursday and I was greeted with more presents than someone my age should get but all of which I was very thankful for. Books, beautiful picture frames, an owl teapot (all great additions to the house I hope to buy this year) and a Fitbit so I can get even more obsessed with my sleep pattern, diet and exercise regime!
In the afternoon, my boyfriend took me to The Showroom to see Highrise which is a weird film but it is quite good, stick with it if you go and see it. He’d booked us a night in the beautiful Halifax Hall Hotel in Sheffield so after returning home for a slice of cake, we headed there to get ready to go out again for a meal at Thyme Cafe followed by a few drinks. The meal was delicious, much like the last time I ate there, fresh food, a great menu and all for a reasonable price; there’s no wonder they were so busy on a Thursday night!
The next morning, after breakfast, we headed up to Record Collector to browse some of their wares before heading home for more cake, a disco nap for me and then to get ready for my meal and night out with the girls. The meal was at Anchorage and though service was slow, because we were stuck behind a massive group that were booked in before us, the food was delicious and I will be back again in future. We then headed out to visit some of my favourite places in the city and partaking in a few too many gins before getting home at half 4 (!) I must admit, I’m probably the most surprised about me even staying awake that long, I’ve not stayed out that late in a long, long time.
I had a great couple of days, which was followed up nicely on Wednesday with afternoon tea with my mum at Jameson’s Cafe and Tea Rooms on Abbeydale Road. I’d wanted to go there for ages so my birthday really was a perfect excuse to visit and make the most of having a little treat or two. It was a lovely experience, like stepping back in time to when afternoon tea was a daily ritual rather than just a treat. The beautiful sandwiches, endless tea, gorgeous scones and delicious yet huge slices of cake all went down wonderfully and I know for a fact that I will be back soon as I loved every moment of that indulgent afternoon tea.
Pre-Birthday Flowers from my Mum / Happy Birthday to me! 🙂 / The beautiful Halifax Hall Hotel in Sheffield where I stayed the night on my birthday courtesy of my lovely boyfriend / Birthday meal at Thyme Cafe in Sheffield, Starter: Red Pepper Arancini and Sweet Potato Fries / Main at Thyme Cafe: Mushroom Baked Polenta with Goats Cheese, Broccoli and Asparagus. Absolutely delicious! / Another one from Halifax Hall Hotel and the beautiful grounds
5 Happy Things:
- Afternoon tea. Always. It’s never a bad idea to have afternoon tea, ever. Even my boyfriend is a fan so it must be good.
- Being able to eat as much cake as I wanted because it’s my birthday and that is definitely a good enough excuse.
- My actual birthday day. I couldn’t have asked for a nicer way to spend my 25th than what my boyfriend had planned for me. The hotel was perfect and the right amount of luxury, the meal at Thyme was delicious and seeing a film in the afternoon was a nice little treat. It was a great day! 🙂
- Rewatching Game of Thrones series 5 this week because series 6 is nearly here and goddammit I’m excited! The new trailer also helped my excitement levels reach a new peak for the new series too!
- Finishing my online course and passing all my modules and final exam on the first attempt. I’m now digitally qualified in online marketing, social media and SEO! It was a great experience to learn something not only beneficial to my career and future job opportunities but to just spend some time learning again with the regimentation of school that can at times be hugely restrictive.
What I’ve Been Listening To:
Blossoms – Charlemagne
Wild Nothing – Alien
In case you missed it, you can check out this week’s tracks of the week #140
What I’ve Been Reading:
- The Everyday Bravery of Being A Woman by Marisa Bate for The Pool. A great and inspiring read that I think every woman will completely resonate with in some way.
- The gift of a book and just why it is such a personal present by Daisy Buchanan for The Pool. I truly agree with everything she says here and it gives me the excuse to make my future present buying much more about books than funny gifts or little trinkets from now on. There is also some good book recommendations in this article so check those out too.