A beautiful homemade spinach, brie and mushroom pie I enjoyed in a country pub over the weekend, it was delicious! / Nothing beats a good cup of tea especially when its in a cup and saucer / Sometimes the simple things are the best, like avocado toast which is my absolute favourite / Me and my boyfriend headed to Napoleon’s for a Beer Night on Thursday, surprisingly for me, I loved this beer
After such a tragic week all over Europe, especially in Paris, it really brought into perspective what life is all about. I’m a serial worrier and pessimistic about everything, whatever is happening in my life, I bet I can tell you the bad things or the possible bad outcomes of it before I even think of somehing good. Anyway, all that aside, what happened last Friday, shocked me to not just being upset, which I was, but it also gave me that little kick I needed to think that life isn’t that bad really and we should all make the most of it while we have it.
I started these 5 happy things off a few weeks ago to make me grateful for the good instead of focussing on the bad and I think now more than ever, these are important. So this week, my five happy things are things I’m happy for, I’m grateful for and what I am truly thankful to have.
1) The support of good family and friends. I’ve been going through quite a lot of stuff at the moment, nothing I’ll go into on here, and I’ve been trying to wade through making a lot of big decisions and to have the help, love and support of some great people, mainly my mum and my boyfriend, has been greatly needed recently and I’m so thankful that they have been there for me when I’ve needed them the most.
2) Making lists of everything that needs to be done over the next couple of weeks. I’d fallen behind on my organisation for one reason and another, and had lost my focus of what I was meant to be doing, on the blog and elsewhere. So to have some time to sit back and make some lists was much needed and has calmed me down no end.
3) Cups of tea. No matter what has happened this week and where I have been, a cup of tea has not been far away from me. As much as I love coffee, it is tea I turn to on a regular basis these days, preferably with a biscuit or two.
4) Cute little lodges in the middle of nowhere with no phone reception and only a pond full of ducks for company. I went down to Norfolk last weekend with my boyfriend for a wedding. The place we stayed was lovely and super remote, quite literally out in the sticks. It was lovely for the night but I know the inner city girl in me would have hated staying somewhere so isolate for a week. It was a great night though and I really did appreciate that little bit of peace and quiet.
5) Music and memories. The memories songs can evoke is something I’m always thankful for, they are in many ways like a post it note for my brain to remember good times and brilliant moments and I will never not be thankful for that.
What I’ve Been Listening To:
Foals – A Knife In The Ocean
Guns and Roses – Welcome To The Jungle
In case you missed it, you can check out this week’s tracks of the week #125
What I’ve Been Reading:
– This beautiful but utterly heartbreaking piece by Lauren Elkin on The Pool about Friday night in Paris, what she experienced and how the city is coping now.
– Why are women’s diaries and the act of them writing one of such importance, find out in this wonderful article by Nicola Skinner on The Pool which celebrates some of the best examples of published women’s diaries.
– A love affair to tights by Laura Craik on The Pool. Something I truly stand with as I love tights in winter, they are the piece of ‘clothing’ that means I can wear nice skirts and dresses year round instead of spending all winter in tight, horrible jeans.